Department meeting at 8:30am, where the previous 24 hours are reviewed.
The postgraduate (resident) who was on call summarizes.
Afterward, we see the sick patients.
I spend that day getting organized and getting to know the wards. Also getting lost.
In 24 hours, this is what I saw:
- Eclamptic, now POD#1
- Pus-filled abdomen from D&E at 24w with RPOC. Now POD#1 s/p ELAP.
- DIC/HELLP/Eclampsia – in ICU
- Severe PEC on methyldopa awaiting repeat c/s
- 33w HIV+ with cryptococcal meningitis and malaria
- Precocious puberty at 5yo with left adnexal mass
- Maternal death from severe postpartum hemorrhage at home. Para 12.
- Renal failure with global pitting edema and severe anemia at 12 weeks. Hgb=2.4 (!!)
- Uterine rupture with 2 prior c/s in labor
- Postdates at 45 weeks (LMP 11/21) – not in labor.
- Eclampsia at 8cm, arrived seizing.
- Full term IUFD with postpartum hemorrhage.
In the morning, Joseph, the postgraduate on call with me, reviewed the nights stats:
24 Vaginal deliveries
9 Cesarean sections
1 Maternal mortality
Really, the gods must be crazy.