Monday, September 7, 2009

The Rock

The town of Tororo is most notable for the huge rock in the center of it.



You can see the rock from almost anywhere in the town. When you are a visitor, people constantly ask you, "Have you climbed the rock yet?"

This is the rock as seen from the road outside the hospital:



After a few weeks of living here, we decided to finally climb the rock.
If you know me, you know that hiking is not something to be "enjoyed," it is something to be suffered and usually avoided. Let's be real - nature is the same crap everywhere, and views I can see from the window of a plane. But you have to climb the rock, just to say you did it.



Don't be fooled by my smile. I'm schvitzing.



A view of the roads leading elsewhere.



Blair is pointing something out, and Scott is watching.



At the top, we met a guard, Patrick, who seemed thrilled to have someone to chat with. He guards the cell phone towers. When we marveled at the beautiful view, he seemed underwhelmed. We said "You get to see this beautiful view every day!" And he said "Yes, but the climb is very difficult. Every day." I feel his pain.



You can see the town center, with the main roundabout here.

I'm glad I did it. I will not be doing it again.

No comments: